Karla P. Mercado-Shekhar
Karla P. Mercado-Shekhar is an Assistant Professor in Biological Engineering. She received a B.S. in Biomedical Engineering from Boston University in 2009, and received a M.S. (2010) and a Ph.D. (2015) from the University of Rochester, as a Provost’s Fellow. She was a Postdoctoral Fellow at the University of Cincinnati College of Medicine from 2014 to 2019. She is currently a Principal Investigator of the Medical Ultrasound Engineering (MUSE) Lab at IIT Gandhinagar. Her research interests lie in developing innovative ultrasound techniques for characterizing and imaging diseased tissues.
- Mercado-Shekhar, K.P.,Su, H., Kalaikadal, D.S., Lorenz, J.N., Manglik, R.M., Holland, C.K., Redington, A.N., and Haworth, K.J. “Acoustic droplet vaporization-mediated scavenging of dissolved oxygen in physiological and blood-mimicking fluids.” Ultrasonics Sonochemistry, 56:114-124, 2019. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ultsonch.2019.03.029.
- Mercado-Shekhar, K.P.,Kleven, R., Aponte Rivera, H., Lewis, R., Karani, K.B., Vos, H.J., Abruzzo, T.A., Haworth, K.J., and Holland, C.K. “The effect of clot stiffness on rt-PA lytic susceptibility invitro,” Ultrasound in Medicine and Biology 44(12): 2710-2727, 2018. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ultrasmedbio.2018.08.005.
- Mercado, K.P., Radhakrishnan, K., Stewart, K., Snider, L., Ryan, D., and Haworth, K.J. “Size-isolation of ultrasound-mediated phase transition perfluorocarbon droplets using differential centrifugation,” The Journal Acoustical Society of America, 139(5):EL142-EL148, 2016. https://doi.org/10.1121/1.4946831.
- Mercado, K.P., Langdon, J., McAleavey S.A., Hocking, D.C., and Dalecki, D. “Scholte wave generation during Single Tracking Location Shear Wave Elasticity Imaging of three-dimensional engineered tissues,” The Journal of the Acoustical Society of America, 138(2):EL138-EL144, 2015. https://doi.org/10.1121/1.4927633.
- Mercado, K.P., Helguera, M., Hocking, D.C., and Dalecki, D. “Noninvasive quantitative imaging of collagen microstructure in three-dimensional hydrogels using high frequency quantitative ultrasound,” Tissue Engineering Part C, Methods, 21(7):671-682, 2015. https://doi.org/10.1089/ten.TEC.2014.0527.
- Mercado, K.P., Helguera, M., Hocking, D.C., and Dalecki, D. “Estimating cell concentration in three-dimensional engineered tissues using high frequency quantitative ultrasound,” Annals of Biomedical Engineering, 42(6):1292-1304, 2014. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10439-014-0994-8.